This cake is not only delicious but a healthier option to pacify those hunger pangs. It is also quick enough for unexpected guests and fancy enough for a gift. All you need is few ingredients and a love of baking.
Makes one – 6” cake
Calorie count – 229 calories/serving
- 1 ½ cup sifted whole wheat flour
- ½ cup Brown sugar *
- ½ cup white granulated sugar
- 1 cup Buttermilk**
- 2 tsp Instant coffee powder mixed in 2 tbsp boiling water
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- ½ cup Melted butter***
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1/3 cup Mixed tutti frutti
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup water
1. Pre heat oven to 180C.
2. Line a 6 or 7 inch cake tin with parchment paper and keep aside.
3. Sift together the baking powder, salt and flour.
4. In a bowl, mix the buttermilk, vanilla essence, butter and coffee.
5. To the moist ingredients, add the sugar and half the flour mixture.
6. Mix it using a spatula.
7. Fold in the rest of the flour, water and tutti frutti.
8. The cake batter and use the drop method to check for consistency. (When a dollop of the batter is raised in a spoon and dropped from a small height, it must fall off and not pour)
9. Transfer the batter to the lined cake tin and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
10. Once about 25 min of cooking time is elapsed, insert a skewer in the center of the cake and it should come out clean. If it does not, give it a few more minutes in the oven.
11. Take it out on a cooling rack and let it sit in the tin for atleast 10-15 min before trying to unmould it.
In case light brown sugar is not available, you may use white granulated sugar.
** To make buttermilk, to 1 cup milk we need to 1 tsp vinegar and allow it to curdle. This should take about 5 minute .
*** Oil can be replaced in place of melted butter