All of us are familiar with this nut and aware as well, of the many health benefits it provides. Almonds are a wonder nut. They are a package of vitamins, minerals, proteins and fibre, and are associated with a number of health benefits. Just a handful of almonds, approximately one ounce is shown to contain one-eighth of our necessary daily protein.
Almonds in its varied forms
Almonds can be eaten raw or they may be toasted. Many of us like to soak these nuts overnight and have them in the morning. Almonds are indispensible ingredients of our various dishes. I prefer to roast almonds in oven and use fragrant nut in milk, raw or in fruit salad. Owing to their mild flavour, almonds are used both as a garnish and as an ingredient in a variety of both sweet and savoury dishes. Almonds are available:
- Sliced , flaked, shelled with skins and blanched with no skins
- Almond butter- almonds ground to creamy consistency
- Almond milk-prepared by soaking, crushing and straining of pulp.
- Almond flour , oil.
- Almond chocolates.
- Almond extract- made from the oil of the bitter almond is a very potent flavouring agent.
- Almond syrup- an emulsion of sweet and bitter almonds, usually made with barley syrup.
Almonds and your health
Almonds are nutritionally dense food. Almonds are known to have high medicinal value which is why people proactively use them in their diet. The advantages of almonds have been documented for centuries and modern research is backing up why you should consider them as your daily supplements. Some of the researched benefits are:-
- Rich source of E vitamin containing 26 mg per 100 g.
- They are also rich in dietary fibre, minerals such as magnesium, copper, manganese, calcium, and potassium.
- Monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats, which potentially may lower LDL cholesterol.
- Good for your brain-help in developing your brain(contain riboflavin and L-carnitine) ,they are connected to higher intellectual levels.
- Bone health- Phosphorus content in it is definitely counted!
- Good for your heart- help reduce heart diseases.
- For skin care and hair.
Your immune system- these nuts contain alkali material which are known to strengthen immunity.
- Reduce cancer risk- Researchers at the Department of Nutrition, University of California, Davis, cancer. According to the authors, the results suggested that “almond consumption may reduce colon cancer risk.
- They help in weight loss.
- Prevent constipation because of their fibre content.
- Potassium present helps to regulate blood pressure.
- Vitamin E is an antioxidant known for fighting the aging processes, such as wrinkles and hair loss.
Almonds are surely a tasty treat to replace our high fat and high calorie diet. Try having these healthy nuts with honey, which also surely benefit your health.
Like any other food, almond to has some risks for the allergic ones. Those allergic to almonds should try to avoid these nuts in any forms. Almonds also contain oxalates, and excess of these oxalates can cause crystallization. People with kidney or gall bladder problem should try to avoid almonds.Inspite of all this, we should remember that any food can provide benefits ,
When taken in appropriate amounts.