While the PlayStation 4 (PS4) is a good gaming console, it isn’t perfect. Sometimes you’ll find yourself in a situation when you need to reinstall the system software. You need to reinstall the software if you plan to replace a hard drive, or if you’re facing issues with games and menus slowing down, or if your console was on during a power outage. This is different from the usual system update procedure.
This how-to has two parts to it, the first is finding the right software update and the second needs the PS4 to boot in safe mode.
To do this to your PS4, you’ll need a USB hard drive or a thumb drive (with around 1GB of free space) and a computer with Internet access.
Obtain the correct update
- Download the PS4 firmware from this page on your PC, the link you’re looking for is labelled as Download Now. This is not your usual system update that is around 300MB, rather, this is the entire software. To tell if you’re downloading the right file, it’s around 800MB. Even if you are on a fast connection, downloading it may take some time due to Sony’s servers. The file name should be PS4UPDATE.PUP.
- Plug the hard drive into your PC’s USB port. Open it and create a new folder. Name it PS4. In PS4, create another folder. Name it UPDATE. Use exactly that name, in capital letters only, so it can be recognised by the PS4.
- Copy the file to the UPDATE folder on your USB flash drive.
Put your PS4 in safe mode
- Connect the USB to your PS4.
- If your PS4 is on, switch it off. If the power indicator is lit up in orange (rest mode), hold the power button until you hear the system beep for a second time.
- Your PS4 now boots up in safe mode. Select Initialize PS4(Reinstall System Software).
- Just follow the screens to complete the update, there are no further settings to choose.
- If your PS4 does not recognise the update file, check that the folder names and file name are correct. If they are not exactly as listed above, in UPPERCASE characters, this will not work.
- Also, all users and all data will be deleted, so back up your data before doing this.
For gamers, the PlayStation 4 (PS4) isn’t just a spanking new kit to play games on – there’s a social element to it as well. Yes we spend hours playing our favourite games, but when we get that perfect headshot, unlock a new level, or simply run into a weird bug, we want to share it with our friends. (more…)
With a bunch of great games like DriveClub and LittleBigPlanet 3 already available, and the likes of BloodBorne and Uncharted 4, amongst others, on the horizon, the PlayStation 4 (PS4) is undoubtedly the most popular next-generation console right now.
And the PS4 is getting better with each update, the latest of which promises to bring much awaited features such as Suspend/ Resume that’s present on the Xbox One. (more…)
The online release comes a day after the studio reversed its previous decision not to show the movie after hackers stole internal documents and emails from Sony. The U.S. said North Korea was behind the hack. In “The Interview,” Seth Rogen and James Franco play journalists tasked by the CIA with killing North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
Viewers can rent the movie for $5.99 (roughly Rs. 377) or buy it for $14.99 (roughly Rs. 940). Rentals are good for 48 hours. The movie’s running time is 1 hour, 52 minutes.
Here’s where you can watch “The Interview” online (more…)
Sony on Wednesday took it to Twitter to announce that the Android 5.0 Lollipopupdate will be reaching the Xperia Z3 and Xperia Z2 handset series at the start of 2015. The information came as a reply to user queries. (more…)
Firstly, Sony’s noise-cancelling technology in new Xperia Z2 smartphone is exciting, you can use that instead of iPod.
Xperia Z2 has also other features that may appeal to some people. The phone is expected to come out in March. Sony has not announced a confirmed price yet, though it will sell for $500 to $600 in the U.S (without a contract).
Sony’s Xperia smartphones are distinctive in being waterproof. It’s not something you’ll be needed always, but you might find it useful, if you want to shoot underwater or you work as a lifeguard or if live near beach.
The best thing about Xperia Z2 camera is that it’s clearly far better than the 16MP camera in Samsung Galaxy S5. The lens quality and the focus mechanism are also good.
4K video recording
Xperia Z2 captures video with four times the details as full HD video. 4K is the future, although its little expensive now, but it seems that future smartphone will have 4K as basic feature. It’s for people who want to take high quality video. For normal users wait now for the day 4K becomes more common.
Noise cancellation Xperia Z2 Noise cancellation feature is cool but, it requires special headphones, which Company is selling for$82 (60 euros).
Noise cancellation is made for when you in the office, planes and trains and buses. You choose one in the settings.
The technology works fairly, and it fails to filter the external noise completely.